Monday, July 19, 2010

Percentage of Some Other Race Population in Counties, 2000



In my map “Percentage of Some Other Race Population in Counties, 2000”, it displays counties throughout the U.S. and where Some Other Race populations were distributed in the year 2000. By looking at the map, it seems clear that this “Some Other Race” is referring to Hispanics. With the exception of the upper Northwest part of the U.S., almost all of this race was concentrated by or near the border to Mexico, which would make one assume that Hispanics are the actual race being identified in this map. I am very surprised how there were very few Hispanics to the East of Texas. I assumed that a decent amount of Hispanics would have made their way to the East Coast as of 2000. Living in Southern California all my life, I reside among a high percentage of Hispanics, so I naively assumed that this race was more widely distributed throughout the United States. Another part of the map that caught my eye are the states of Alaska and Hawaii (located in the boxes of the bottom). They had practically zero Hispanics living in these states.

No comments:

Post a Comment